Introduction to the Plan
The 2013 to 2020 ARTA Strategic Plan creates a bold and inspiring future for ARTA. The Plan is a comprehensive and forward-looking document that recognizes and builds upon the values and strengths of ARTA and responds to trends and issues in the current and emerging environment.
The Strategic Plan points ARTA towards its 2020 vision and lays out the broad picture of the services and operations for the well-being of current and affiliate members, for potential members, for other retirees and for affiliate and similar organizations. The Strategic Plan is ARTA’s foundational document upon which other plans will be formulated. Three-year outcomes (2013 to 2016) start to translate the vision into action and lay the foundation for the development of performance measures.
The Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association was established in 1963 as a province-wide organization. Its goal was to offer social activities to its members and to look at issues affecting retired teachers. In 1995 the ARTA Health Care plan was added to its list of services to retired teachers.
Since then, ARTA has grown to provide such services to its members as: health care, insurance, wellness information and activities, advocacy, retirement planning, technology information, scholarship awards as well as travel plans, social activities and other benefits.
We continue to experience tremendous growth. Currently ARTA has over 12,000 members within the education, public and private sectors. ARTA has seventeen Branches throughout Alberta and one Satellite Branch in British Columbia.
A creative description of ARTA’s future, this vision guides decisions, helps set direction and encourages us to align our priorities as we work to make ARTA the association we want it to become in 2020.
From the classrooms and beyond, the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association and its members are linked by a common purpose
— to ensure a healthy, active, engaged and vibrant lifestyle after retirement. We are all part of something special, a bond that unites us and our community; a continuation of fellowship in profession that now continues in retirement.
ARTA is a vibrant association. Our membership is engaged and informed; the true strength behind our association is the passion of its members.
ARTA and its members have an enhanced quality of life; healthy, active members enjoy the benefits of being a member of our association. The broader community also benefits from the work ARTA has done in ensuring personal wellness.
ARTA and its members have a unified voice. Issues that affect our current and future members are understood and our opinions are expressed and promote action.
ARTA supports an engaged lifestyle after retirement through member-centered services, advocacy, communication, wellness and leadership.
ARTA’s Strategic Goals and Outcomes
The strategic goals outline the direction that ARTA will take from
2013 to 2020 to achieve its vision, direct long-term planning, and help set priorities for the delivery of services and programs. Outcomes are short-term; describing the desired accomplishments under each goal for the three year period of 2013 to 2016.
ARTA fosters vibrant, engaged, and informed members
ARTA is a member-centred organization, proactively researching the needs of its present and future membership and providing information about programs and services to meet these needs.
- ARTA is a resource centre for its members, branches and affiliates; providing information about ARTA and its services, as well as links to other sources.
- ARTA, utilizes sound research and data to understand the needs and interests of its current and potential members.
- ARTA is knowledgeable about the services and resources available to meet the needs and interests of its current and potential members.
- ARTA provides the most comprehensive insurance and benefits programs to meet the needs of its members.
ARTA promotes a healthy, active and enhanced quality of life for retired people
ARTA is a leader and advocate in the promotion of wellness for retirees. ARTA develops and implements strategies to enhance the quality of the life of its members and retired people in the community.
- ARTA provides a forum for stakeholder groups to address, coordinate and evaluate wellness activities.
- ARTA coordinates the identification of needs related to wellness for ARTA’s members.
- ARTA coordinates and facilitates an action plan to address current wellness needs as identified.
- ARTA provides a system for communicating, maintaining and
promoting wellness activities within ARTA.
ARTA ensures a unified voice is heard on issues affecting current and future retired individuals
ARTA is an effective advocate for its members and retirees with similar interests and concerns. ARTA is recognized as a valued and respected spokesperson on behalf of its members and those in the broader community.
- ARTA’s Board and staff and appropriate Branch representatives are knowledgeable and skilled in advocacy.
- ARTA is strategically linked with ARTA branches, retiree groups and government agencies to gain information and to establish a unified voice.
- ARTA has well-researched and articulated positions on the most important issues affecting retired teachers and individuals.