Billings and Distributions Accountant
Overview of the position:
Are you capable, competent, and extremely organized? Are you buzzing with ideas and intrigued by masterfully developing financial processes? Are you able to exercise sound professional judgement and decision making on financial, business, and organizational issues? Then you will fit right in on the ARTA accounting team. We are looking for a skilled Billings and Distributions Accountant to join our dynamic team. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this position works as a member of the accounting team, with a focus on developing and administering monthly routines related to health benefits premiums, membership fees, and taxes for our current Retiree Benefits Plan members.
This position will find guidance from the Chief Financial Officer to strengthen ARTA’s financial position through meticulous accounting, reporting, and successful annual audits.
Life at ARTA:
The Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association (ARTA) is a vibrant organization made up of 24,000 retired educators and like-minded professionals and served by an equally as engaged team of staff. Created by teachers, we are an Alberta-based non-for-profit linked by a common purpose – to ensure a healthy, active, engaged, and vibrant lifestyle for our members in their retirement.
Our culture encourages our members and our employees to live an enhanced quality of life. As a Canadian Nonprofit Employer of Choice (2017, 2018, and 2019), office perks include a staff wellness program, generous vacation allowance, and continuous learning opportunities. This culminates in a workplace where we can thrive together.
A rapidly growing organization, ARTA provides an environment where individual contribution is expected and teamwork is encouraged, and where our core values are of the utmost importance. If you have a strong passion for making a difference people’s lives, are organized and meticulous in your accounting, and enjoy building strong relationships with those around you, then we invite you to apply to join our exciting association.
What you will do:
- Generate monthly member invoices relating to group health benefits premiums, related taxes, and membership fees.
- Administer a monthly routine to generate approximately 25,000 sales invoices.
- Manage financial routines that produce unique sales invoices for members enrolled in ARTA’s Health Benefits Plan.
- Administer financial responsibilities related to the collection of monthly membership premiums, subscribed monthly benefit plan premiums and related taxes for jurisdictions within and outside of the Province of Alberta.
- Generate monthly batch EFT files – uploaded to ARTA’s banking system which includes invoice details and member banking details.
- Generate monthly account statements for overdue accounts and manage collections.
- Working with the CFO, investigate and resolve financial irregularities or respond to inquiries.
- Generate monthly distribution reports – identifying amounts required to be paid out to third-party claims administrator and numerous contracted third parties.
- Perform account reconciliations to ensure that the proper distribution of member premiums is properly calculated.
- Confirm all monthly remittances against contracts in place.
- Create vendor account statements for the contracted party.
- Provide vendors with a monthly break down and reconciliation relating to all funds dispersed.
- Prepare related vendor invoices and an EFT payables batch for the processing of distributions.
- Maintain banking information relating to the distribution EFTs in ARTA’s online banking system.
- Remit taxes to outside provincial jurisdictions as required – including a breakdown and reconciliation for each tax body.
- Review reports automatically created by the financial system for accuracy prior to distribution of funds.
- Produce monthly financial and management reports for all billings and distributions.
- Assist in other general financial management and analysis as required or requested.
- Other duties as required.
What you will have:
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration and/or Mathematics preferred.
- Candidates require an accounting designation (CPA – CA, CMA, CGA).
- 3+ years of related accounting experience.
- Full cycle accounting knowledge is required.
- Prior benefits plan financial administration experience an asset.
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgement and decision making on financial, business, and organizational issues.
- Proactive, self-motivated, decisive, driven and committed to organizational success.
- Persuasive and understands how to engage and successfully lead/support others through change.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Thoughtful, dedicated, loyal and encourages the same in others.
- Detail-oriented, organized and has the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Initiative to learn and take on new responsibilities.
- Ability to assess and recommend efficiencies to current processes.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills working with diverse age groups.