Position, Casual: Math & Science Instructor – Skills Training Programs
Want to do work that makes a difference?
Momentum works to change lives, and right now we’re looking for a Math & Science Instructor to support academic upgrading in our pre-apprenticeship trades training programs. If you love working with adults to build the basic skills and knowledge needed to be successful in the workplace, we want to hear from you. Check out our mission, vision, and values on our website (www.momentum.org) and read about how we work with our participants to make a difference.
Momentum staff work cooperatively with others, demonstrate flexibility in organizing work, have strong communication skills, and demonstrate thoughtfulness in decision making. Staff are non-judgmental and receptive in approach and reflect genuine concern, respect, and commitment towards the individual, family, and community.
Momentum is an award-winning and nationally recognized community economic development organization utilizing innovative approaches to poverty reduction. We use financial empowerment, skills training, and small business development as tools to empower people as they exit poverty.
Momentum is an employer of choice and has been recognized as one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers. We provide competitive compensation with an unparalleled work environment. We are professional and diverse, so you’ll find a range of people and backgrounds working here: from MBAs to Social Workers and everything in between. We’re serious about our work but we don’t take ourselves too seriously and love to celebrate and have fun along the way.
If this sounds like a place where you would want to work, please review the position below to see if there’s a fit with your skills and experience.
About the Trades Training programs:
For 30 years, Momentum has been offering integrated skills training programs to support vulnerable adults living on a low-income to get a good job in the trades. Currently, we offer a suite of pre-apprenticeship training programs in Plumbing, Pipefitting, Automotive Heavy Duty Technician, & Carpentry. These training programs typically have three components: a) academic upgrading and soft-skill building, b) practical technical training, and c) hands-on work experience placement. The end goal is for program graduates to get a job in their related field of training, launching them into a meaningful career.
The Math & Science Instructor reports to the Skills Manager but works under the supervision of the Skills Training Coordinator. The Instructor will work as part of a team in delivering blended online and in-person programs at Momentum’s training centre in Radisson Heights as well as in a virtual environment using D2L Brightspace. The courses have supported in-person and online delivery, independent study, virtual classroom, and coaching components. The Instructor is responsible for curating/developing and delivering appropriate curriculum, hosting in-person and virtual classroom sessions, providing feedback on documents and assignments to provide an exceptional and engaging learning experience.
The Math & Science Instructor will be primarily responsible for:
- Curate/develop and deliver math and science curriculum to adult participants (immigrants, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, Canadian born) to adequately prepare participants to:
- Understand the math and science material suitable and needed in the field of training.
- Become familiar with the Math /Science technical vocabulary needed in the field of training.
- Pass the corresponding pre-apprenticeship exam
- Monitoring participant attendance and report all absences/irregularities to program staff
- Communicating participant progress with program staff and collaborating with the team to identify and provide any additional support participants may need.
The Instructor is also expected to participate in planning and consultative meetings with department staff as needed.
- Learning delivery is satisfactory and meets the needs of Participants.
- Participants increase their math skills and attain a competency level required to pass pre-apprenticeship exams
Who we are looking for:
- You are great at explaining complex math and science concepts.
- You have relevant experience with developing lesson plans and delivering a comprehensive curriculum to prepare adults to challenge the math and science entrance exams.
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about working with marginalized individuals, including immigrants and Indigenous persons.
- You have experience with program evaluation, classroom management and individualized/group learning support.
- You have a degree in Education, Adult Education, or another related profession.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills within in-person and online environments.
- Highly proficient with email and e-learning.
- 3-5 years of relevant teaching experience.
- Experience with D2L Brightspace learning platform.
- Certificate in virtual or e-learning or equivalent proven experience.
As an instructor, you partly will be teaching in-classroom and/or in virtual classrooms remotely. In order to run the virtual classrooms effectively you will need a computer that meets or exceeds the following recommended requirements:
- Web camera
- Speaker and microphone (or alternative: headphones with microphone)
- Internet browser requirements: Latest version of Chrome or Edge Chromium
- Solid Internet connection (2-3 Mbps)
- Dual monitors (recommended, but not required)
This position is a casual employment opportunity. It is not eligible for group benefits and does not have regular ongoing hours of work.
Successful candidates will be kept on our instructor roster and considered for placement throughout our various programs offered in 2021-2022. Each program that is offered typically includes approximately 12-15 hours/week and up to 80-100 daytime hours of direct teaching and coaching support. Additional non-instructional hours will be required for meetings and lesson planning. The training schedule runs from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday with some flexibility required.
Please forward resume with covering letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must state salary expectations in their cover letter and the competition number MOM0302
in the subject line of the email.
Closing Date: Until a suitable candidate is found.
Momentum is an equal opportunity employer. Persons from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
For a more detailed job description and more information about Momentum visit www.momentum.org