Leduc Heroes Program
Day Time Volunteer Facilitators needed for local Heroes Program.
Teaching a character based program in schools.
Position Title: Heroes Facilitator
Client Group: Grade 8 Students
Location: Leduc Junior High School
Purpose of Position: To facilitate the heroes curriculum to grade 8 health classes.
Time Commitment: 1-2 hours a week, mornings or afternoons for a minimum of one school year.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the heroes curriculum to a minimum of 1-2 classes per school year.
- Organize with the assigned classroom’s teacher days of instruction.
- Ensure that you have all materials required and are prepared for each class.
- Create a fun and engaging environment for the youth.
- Support students to participate in the activities and discussion.
- Ensure that if you are unable to attend you contact the school and FCSS as soon as possible to reschedule.
- Ensuring that evaluations are completed at the end of each semester.
Skills / Qualifications:
- Passion for working with youth.
- Caring, friendly and patient attitude.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to take direction from staff.
- Sensitivity to the needs and challenges of the client population.
- Willingness to learn the materials and curriculum of heroes.
- Must have clear vulnerable sector check and child intervention check
Boundaries / Limitations:
- Maintain staff and student confidentiality at all times within the limits of the law.
- Maintain respectful communication at all times with staff and students.
- Act in a responsible and professional manner at all times while in the school.
- Maintain professional boundaries with students in the school and the community at all times.
- Ensure that you are representing yourself in a professional manner when in public settings as you are in a position of leadership within the community.
Orientation / Training:
- Training will be on-line as well as studying the materials on your own.
- You will receive one-on-one mentoring and shadowing for one semester to ensure that you are comfortable teaching on your own.
Supervision & Evaluation:
- You will be supervised by the Youth Development Coordinator.
- Evaluations will be completed by the students and all feedback will be passed on to you.
- Annual performance evaluation upon completion of the school year.
- An opportunity to be a mentor to the youth in our community. To empower youth to find their gifts, abilities and desire to succeed.
- Support and training from the Youth Development Coordinator to increase your skills in facilitation and working with youth.
- An annual thank you card and gift.
- A thank you dinner at the annual Volunteer Appreciation Banquet.
- A letter of hours completed if required for post-secondary applications or employer.