A Simple Holiday Treat
The holidays are a time when many go visiting, and look for a special treat to take along – one that many people will be able to enjoy, and feel good about eating. This Date Ball recipe is a seasonal favourite: easy to make, tasty, gluten free, and high in fibre, potassium, vitamins and minerals. Another advantage is that they can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy! For healthy eating classes, contact Building Healthy Lifestyles in Lethbridge, 403-388-6654.
- 1 block pitted dates
- Water to cover
- 1 1/2 cups coconut
- 1 1/2 cups millet flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons tahini or peanut butter
- Soak the dates in boiling water until the water is cool enough for you to tolerate.
- Drain, keeping some of the water aside.
- Add the coconut and millet flakes, plus the tahini or peanut butter.
- Mix together in a blender, or with your hands, and add a little of the drained date water if necessary.
- Roll into balls and store in the fridge.
Recipe reference: http://www.the-gluten-free-chef.com/gluten-free-snacks.html
Article written by: -Julie Nolan, Building Healthy Lifestyles
For more posts like these, visit the Physical Wellness page.