Staying healthy is now more important than ever. Getting your daily intake of vitamins is important to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It is easy to reach for the vitamin bottle, but food can provide an abundance of the nutrients and fibre the pill form of vitamins lack.
Vitamins should be used as supplements to your diet, not a substitute to healthy foods. Nutrients keep our bodies functioning to build strong bones, improve mood, memory, and to keep our immune system strong to fight off ailments large and small.
While there are hundreds of vitamins and minerals that are good for us, there are a few you should be consuming every day.
|Vitamin||Function||Best food sources|
- Powerful antioxidant that can strengthen your body’s natural defences to boost the immune system.
- Boost your blood antioxidant levels which can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease.
- Can boost immunity by helping white blood cell function and strengthen your skins defence system. (1)
- Citrus fruits and juices, strawberries, red and green peppers, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach, kale and collard greens. (2)
|Vitamins B6 and B12|
- Keeps blood, nerves, and the immune system functioning properly. (2)
- B6 can play an important role in mood regulation. B6 is necessary for creating neurotransmitters that regulate emotions, including serotonin. (3)
- B6 is found in whole grains, bananas, beans, nuts, wheat germ, chicken and fish.
- B12 can be found in beef, pork, poultry, eggs, fish and dairy.(2)
- Calcium is essential for bone health which can play an important part in preventing osteoporosis.(2)
- Dairy products such as skim milk, yogurt and cheese.
- Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and broccoli.
- Preserves many vital functions including energy and focus.
- Red meats, clams, egg yolks, chicken and fish
Eating a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods will not only make you feel better but can help prevent you from getting some diseases and the common cold.
7 Impressive Ways Vitamin C Benefits Your Body
How to Eat Your Vitamins
9 Health Benefits of Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)