Fall 2020 HumanaCare Newsletter
Relieve Holiday Stress
Holidays can be overwhelming on the body and mind. The most important thing is to Stay Positive. This is especially important when we can’t gather as we normally have in the past. Things to remember:
- Have an attitude of gratitude.
- Have mercy on yourself.
- Stay present.
- Be crystal clear on your real “must do’s.”
- Simplify what you must do and want to do.
- Remember time is your most valuable asset.
- Look for the joy.
- Get a good laugh
- Identify your triggers
- Plan a “you day”
Keep a Healthy Holiday Mindset
Normally, the holiday season is a time for tradition and family, giving thanks and grand meals. But for many of us, these ideal notions are eclipsed by the absolute frenzy that accompanies the holiday season: extra traffic, endless shopping and now, meals with our family by video.
Despite this being a challenging year, try to find some fun and joy in what we can do:
- You can still make a delicious meal to enjoy
- You can still speak with or have a video call with your family.
- You can still smile and find joy in seeing your loved ones or hearing their voices on the other end of the line.
- The holidays come complete with feelings of nostalgia and melancholy. Especially in this particular season we are travelling through. It’s ok to talk about those feelings.
- Have mercy on yourself – you are only one person and you are navigating very different times.
- Make those amends – there is no better time than this time to forgive and forget.
These are certainly different and challenging times. We all have to work a little harder at “seeing” our loved ones while maintaining a safe distance. Talk to your family, friends or neighbours to find out how you will navigate this holiday and maybe try something a little unconventional this year!
“Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success.”