Teeth Friendly Snacks
Tips And Tricks
Top tips for snacking:
• Choose a variety of healthy snacks to improve the nutrition quality of your diet.
• Lower your risk of cavities by eating sweet or sticky snacks with meals rather than by themselves.
• Limit the number of snacks; two to three healthy snacks per day between meals.
Snack ideas to keep your smile healthy
All foods can fit into a healthy diet, but choosing healthier snacks can help protect your teeth from decay.
Here’s a lineup of snacks less likely to cause cavities:
Vegetables and fruit: fresh fruit and raw vegetables, unsweetened canned or frozen fruit, 100% vegetable or fruit juices (no added sugar)
Grains: plain cereals, popcorn, whole grain breads, bagels, muffins, buns and Crackers
Milk and alternatives: milk, soy beverage, dairy or soy yogurt and cheese
Meat and alternatives: meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, peanut butter or other nut butters, golden pea butter
No time to brush?
Rinse your mouth with water, chew a piece of SUGARLESS gum or eat a piece of cheese.
Smile and say “Cheese!”
Did you know that cheese does not cause cavities? Research shows that eating a piece of cheese at the end of a snack or meal can actually prevent cavities! The phosphorous and calcium in the cheese protect teeth from decay.
Dental health tips
• The Canadian Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth and tongue at least twice per day and flossing daily.
• See your dentist regularly for check-ups. Your dentist and dental hygienist can tell you ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Article written by: Diane Britton, Registered Dietitian
For more posts like these, visit the Physical Wellness page.