Be published in news&views! Reach an audience of over 22,000 people!
Deadline for Entries: Friday, November 16, 2018
Announcement of Winners: Spring issue of news&views (March 2019)
|FLASH FICTION||POETRY||ONCE UPON A TIME: A TALE FOR CHILDREN|
|1,000-word maximum |
A fictional work of extreme brevity, that still offers character and plot development.
Check the following links for guidance in your writing:
Flash Fiction What's it all about
Four elements that every flash fiction story needs
|Any form, any subject, any length|
Poems in rhyming couplets will not be considered.
A fairy tale—often beginning “once upon a time”—is a story of magical and imaginary beings and lands
The contest is open to all ARTA members, except members of any ARTA Committee, the ARTA Board of Directors, and their families.
- All submissions must be accompanied by the official entry form as the first page of the submission. (Do not send the entry form as a separate file.) Contact the ARTA office if a print copy of the entry form is required.
- All submissions must be original work.
- Submissions with sexuality or explicit or implied violence will be disqualified. First and second place finishers are published in news&views. Submissions that do not meet the magazine’s guidelines will not be considered.
- Submissions may be handwritten or typed.
- Electronic submissions must be .doc or .docx; other formats will not be considered.
- In electronic and typed submissions decorative fonts are not appropriate.
- Illustrations are not accepted with submissions.
- Submissions are limited to one entry per category; however, submissions in more than one category are welcome. A separate entry form must accompany each entry.
- Entries that exceed the category word count will be disqualified.
- Prizes are awarded for First and Second Place. The selection of winners by the Communications Committee is final.
- Entry submission implies permission to publish in news&views. As with all news&views content, submissions will be edited using The Canadian Style and the Canadian Oxford Dictionary. In accordance with The Canadian Style, our aim is respectful, clear writing, avoiding stereotyping.
- Winners will be advised privately by letter and publicly in the spring issue of news&views.
- All entrants retain ownership of publication rights to their work; however, we ask that winners not submit their entries to another market until after publication in news&views.
- ARTA retains the right to use the entries for promotional purposes during and after the competition.
- All prizes must be accepted as awarded.
Submit electronic entries as an attachment to an email with the subject line WRITING CONTEST to email@example.com. You will be notified when your submission has been received. Please do not resubmit your entry to the address below once you have submitted it electronically.
Handwritten or typed manuscripts may be sent to WRITING CONTEST, c/o ARTA Office, 11835 149 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5L 2J1
Please only submit a disposable copy since we cannot return handwritten or typed material.