Embark on a Wellness Journey
The Wellness Challenge is a yearly event where ARTA members are encouraged to focus on their personal wellness over the course of three months (April 1 – June 30).
It’s time to get up and get active with the annual ARTA Wellness Challenge! ARTA is dedicated to helping members lead active and vibrant lives in retirement, and that includes physical wellness. For some, a challenge might mean running a marathon, while for others, it’s enough of a challenge to take a walk around the block. The important thing is to be honest and meet yourself wherever you are in your own wellness journey. In 2021, we challenge you to find an activity (or activities) you enjoy and commit to making time for it in your daily or weekly routine.
Who can participate?
All ARTA members of any age and skill level are welcome to participate in the 2021 Wellness Challenge. Those members who belong to a local branch will participate directly through their branch, and ARTA members who do not currently belong to a branch can submit their results directly to Jennifer Hope at the ARTA office by mail or by emailing email@example.com.
How it works
- Starting April 1, track your activity in minutes on the personal daily log sheets available below.
- On June 30, 2021, compile your best thirty days on the Personal Best-30-Days Report sheet provided to you below.
- Submit your results. You can submit via your Google Form, to your branch president (if applicable), or by mailing your log sheet to the
ARTA office by July 31, 2021.
Once all the Best-30-Days log sheets are submitted to ARTA from branch presidents and non-branch members, awards and prizes will be distributed to the top performers.
Participation prizes will also be awarded by random draw to all members who submit their Best-30-Days log sheet. Winners will be contacted by phone or email. Please be sure to include your contact information on your log sheet.
Tips to help you get active
- Find an activity you enjoy.
- Minutes Count! Try increasing your activity level ten minutes at a time.
- Exercise helps build bone density, which can prevent osteoporosis.
- Older adults should incorporate exercises that emphasize functional balance and strength training three or more days a week.
The Health Benefits of Being Active
- Improves your balance
- Reduces chances of falls and injuries
- Helps you stay independent longer
- Helps prevent heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, some cancers and premature death
Listed below are activities that you can participate in for active minutes. These are simply suggestions, as some might not be possible due to gathering restrictions where you live. Always stay mindful of public health guidelines in your region, remember to be safe, and don’t be afraid to try something new!
- Aqua Aerobics
- Barre Sculpting
- Dragon Boating
- Elliptical Trainer
- Kettle bells
- Mall walking
- Martial Arts
- Resistance Training
- Spin Class
- Stair Climbing
- Tai Chi
- Track and Field
- Triathlon Training
- Weight Training
Every great journey begins with that first small step!
ARTA Members who take part in the wellness challenge and record their time spent on an activity will use the accompanying recording sheets listed below. These numbers will be used to determine who will be awarded.
Please contact Jennifer Hope (firstname.lastname@example.org, 780-822-2407) for any question. Please return the report forms to her by Friday, July 31, 2021.
Get Moving ARTA!
Good Luck and Enjoy!