The Wellness Challenge is a yearly event where ARTA members are encouraged to focus on their personal wellness over the course of three months (April 1 – June 30).
Wellness is one of ARTA’s organizational goals and we encourage our vibrant members to lead active lives in retirement. Being active is an important part of living a healthy and strong lifestyle. The 2020 Discover Wellness challenge gives our members the motivation to get moving in a physical activity they enjoy.
Who can participate?
All ARTA members of any age and skill level are welcome to participate in the 2020 Discover Wellness Challenge. Those members who belong to a local branch will participate directly through their branch, and ARTA members who do not currently belong to a branch can submit their results directly to Jennifer Hope at the ARTA office by mail or by emailing email@example.com.
How it works
- Starting April 1, track your activity in minutes on the personal daily log sheets available below.
- On June 30, 2020 compile your best 30 days on the Personal Best log sheet provided to you below.
- Submit your results to your branch president (if applicable), or mail your log sheet to the ARTA office by July 31, 2020.
Once all thirty the best days are submitted to ARTA from branch presidents and non-branch members, awards and prizes will be distributed to the top performers.
The ARTA Discover Wellness challenge will also be awarding participation prizes by random draw to all members who submit their best 30 days log sheet. Winners will be contacted by phone or email. Please ensure to include your contact information on your log sheet.
Tips to help you get active
- Find an activity you enjoy.
- Minutes Count! Try increasing your activity time by five minutes each day.
- Active time can be social time! Look to your friends and family and get together for an exercise class or a walk.
- Take the stairs whenever possible; every step counts.
The Health Benefits of Being Active
- Improves your balance
- Reduces falls and injuries
- Helps you stay independent longer
- Helps prevent heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, some cancers and premature death
Listed below are activities that you can participate in for active minutes. These activities are simply suggestions, in case you are looking for some new ideas for getting active. If you are getting active in an activity not listed here, be sure to track your time. Anything that gets your heart pumping is considered a trackable activity!
- Aqua Aerobics
- Barre Sculpting
- Dragon Boating
- Elliptical Trainer
- Kettle bells
- Mall walking
- Martial Arts
- Resistance Training
- Spin Class
- Stair Climbing
- Tai Chi
- Track and Field
- Triathlon Training
- Weight Training
Every great journey begins with that first small step!
ARTA Members who take part in the wellness challenge and record their time spent on an activity will use the accompanying recording sheets listed below. These numbers will be used to determine who will be awarded.
Please contact Jennifer Hope (firstname.lastname@example.org, 780-822-2407) for any question. Please return the report forms to her by Friday, July 31, 2020.
Get Moving ARTA!
Good Luck and Enjoy!