news&views Writing Contest 2021
Be published in news&views! Reach an audience of over 25,000 people!
Deadline for Entries: Friday, November 12, 2021
Announcement of Winners: Spring issue of news&views (March 2022)
|FLASH FICTION||POETRY||TRAVEL VIGNETTE|
|800-word maximum |
A fictional work of extreme brevity, that still offers character and plot development.
Check the following links for guidance in your writing:
Any form, any subject.
“A vignette is a short yet descriptive piece of writing that captures a brief period in time. Vignettes are more focused on vivid imagery and meaning rather than plot” (from Wikipedia).
Submit a brief, vivid word picture of a memorable, meaningful travel experience that has left a lasting impression. The submission must be the writer’s own experience, written in the first person. This is not intended to be a travelogue. For an example of such writing, please check out “Souvenirs” in the winter 2020 news&views.
Please do not submit photos with your vignette.
Rules and Guidelines
- The contest is open to all ARTA members, except members of any ARTA committee, the ARTA Board of Directors, or their families.
- All submissions must be original work and will be published with the name of the writer.
- Submissions may be handwritten, typed, or electronic (digital).
- Handwritten or typed hard copies will not be returned.
- Electronic copies must be in .doc or .docx.
- Decorative fonts are not appropriate.
- Submissions are limited to one entry per category; however, submissions in more than one category are welcome.
- Each entry must be sent as a separate file, with the official entry form as the first page of the submission.
Contact the ARTA office if a print copy of the entry form is required.
- Entries are disqualified when they
- exceed the category word or line count.
- contain explicit or implied sexuality, violence, stereotypes, or disrespectful content.
- are received after the contest entry deadline.
- The selection of winners by the Communications Committee is final.
- Prizes are awarded for first and second place.
- All prizes must be accepted as awarded.
- Winners will be advised privately by letter and publicly in the spring issue of news&views.
- First and second place winning submissions are published in news&views.
- All entrants retain ownership of publication rights to their work; however, we ask that winners not submit their entries to another market until after publication in news&views.
- Submitting an entry implies permission to print the winning entry in paper and electronic issues of the magazine, as well as continued display in the online archive of past news&views issues. Beyond this permission, the ownership and copyright for any work is retained by the author.
- As with all news&views content, submissions may be edited using The Canadian Press Stylebook and the Canadian Oxford Dictionary.
How to Submit
If you have written your Writing Contest entry in Microsoft Word, please follow the steps below:
- Open the Writing Contest official entry form on your computer and fill out all the fields.
- After all the fields of the entry form have been filled in, go to the bottom of the page and insert a page break
[click Insert tab, click on Page Break]
- Paste your writing entry on the second page of the Official Entry Form and save the document.
- Submit the filled-out Official Entry Form (which includes your writing entry) as an attachment to an email with the subject line WRITING CONTEST to WritingContest@arta.net
You will be notified when your submission has been received. Please do not resubmit your entry to the address below if you have submitted it electronically.
Handwritten or typed manuscripts may be sent to WRITING CONTEST, c/o ARTA Office, 15505 137 Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB T5V 1R9
Please only submit a disposable copy since we cannot return handwritten or typed material.
Below are the news&views issues that feature the winning entries.