Could Your Hearing Loss Be Holding You Back?
It’s summertime! And after a long, cold winter, there’s nothing Canadians love more than heading outdoors to enjoy the warm weather and soaking up all this beautiful and relaxing season has to offer in one of the most picturesque countries in the world.
But are you?
If you’re reluctant to engage in summer activities that you once used to enjoy, it’s possible that your ears are the reason why. Hearing loss keeps us at arm’s length from the world around us, and can make once simple and pleasurable things difficult to enjoy. It’s understandable to want to retreat to a safe space when you’re struggling to feel connected because you simply can’t hear well enough to enjoy the people and the environment around you.
Hearing aids can change all that.
How to get your active lifestyle back
Can wearing hearing aids really help to promote a healthier and more active lifestyle? In a word, yes. And here’s how!
- You’ll feel more connected. When you can hear and participate in conversations, you’re more likely to want to engage in activities like a yoga or tai chi class, walking outside in with a friend, or dancing under the summer stars with your partner.
- You can feel safer. Hearing enhances our spatial awareness, so when you’re walking, hiking, or biking while wearing a hearing aid, you can hear things like traffic and car horns, bikes coming up behind you on a trail, or even thunder rumbling in the distance warning you to head inside to safety. Likewise, if you’re wearing a hearing aid while taking an exercise class, you can hear the instructor well enough to know if you’re doing the exercises correctly and safely.
- You can reduce your risk of falls. There is a known link between hearing loss and the risk of falls because hearing plays a key role in our ability to stay balanced. Feeling more steady on your feet and knowing you are being proactive about protecting yourself from falls by wearing a hearing aid can make you more apt to get your body moving.
- You’ll want to get out to enjoy the sounds around you. The crackle and hiss of a bonfire, waves lapping against the shore, children playing together at a family BBQ – these iconic sounds of summer can be within reach again. And when you know they’re accessible to you, you’ll naturally want to get out and explore, be adventurous, and become more fully immersed in all the joys the season has to offer.
- You’ll have more energy. Struggling to process muffled information is physically and mentally exhausting. When you can hear better, you’ll have more energy to move your body in pleasurable ways that benefit your health and wellbeing rather than simply spending all your energy just trying to make sense of the clutter of sounds around you.
- You can enjoy sounds you love while being active. With state-of-the-art hearing aid technology like Bluetooth connectivity, you can work out at the gym while you listen to your favourite songs, enjoy a podcast, or even take a call – all while wearing your hearing aid.
- You’ll enjoy a more active social life too. Wearing a hearing aid won’t just help you get more physically active; it can also enhance your social life. Staying connected to the people in our lives is important for our mental health, especially as we age. When you can hear the world around you, you’ll choose to enjoy activities like visiting with friends, going to the theatre, or enjoying an outdoor concert again.
Don’t miss one more second of summer. Get back into the groove and start loving your ears today by taking advantage of a free comprehensive hearing assessment and a free, 30-day hearing aid trial at a HearingLife clinic near you.
HearingLife forms the largest network of hearing clinics with over 350 network clinics across Canada. Staffed by certified hearing healthcare professionals, HearingLife offers the most advanced hearing aid technology and up-to-date diagnostic equipment, as well as clinical support and exclusive 360-AfterCare. #LoveYourEars and visit HearingLife to book an appointment for your free trial today.